Storage Tips and Info
Below are a few useful storage tips and suggestions you may find helpful.
1. Common sense and state laws determine what may be stored. You should not store live animals, Food or perishables of any kind (this attracts rodents and insects!), liquids, explosives, flammable liquids and fuels, any toxic materials, or other items that need a controlled environment.
2. Store items you’ll need most often at the front of the unit. When you pack your storage unit, create a center aisle for access to all items.
3. Do not place boxes directly on concrete floors, but use pallets or skids to prevent moisture absorption.
4. If you’re storing tables and other furniture, remove legs and store tabletops and sofas on end, to save space.
5. Drain gasoline and oil from lawn mowers and other items with small engines.
6. Mattresses should be covered and stored flat on level surfaces.
7. Use protective covers and treat wood surfaces before storing.
8. When storing metal items, to retard rust, wipe all metal surfaces with a rag containing a few drops of machine oil.
9. Pack blankets, draperies, and dress clothes on the hanger in a wardrobe box or other suitable container.
10. Always use high quality locks on your unit.